A dream about working through Fourier transforms at the whiteboard. Recombining recipes from abstractions, looking at the problem differently and realizing I don’t know anything. Trying to put together a puzzle comprised of pieces from other puzzles. A game in which the rules change; by design. I don’t know anything.
Marquam Loop today.
Ghost whisperer on, ghost whisperer off. Gloves on, gloves off, gloves on. I could see my warm breath in the air before crossing the road and dropping onto the roller coaster trail back to Terwilliger. “While running”. Huh. Nothing. There was a guy with a gas-powered leaf blower moving leaves off the trail in the woods above Marquam shelter.
Yesterday I passed Jacob running in the opposite direction, no words, just a high-five. Solid-like.
Thinking today about shutting this whole thing down. This site I mean.
Wahoo! low gravity day today. I think it’s partly the temps – low 40’s F is really really nice to run in and in this case – full 2D run (on the flats). I was literally eating oxygen and couldn’t get enough; wishing I had a turbo… like on my face… to push more air into my lungs.
It’s got a little Kahneman and Taleb with a sprinkle of D.T. Suzuki, add some middle life existential angst and a theory of everything… from the perspective of a senior and respected information architect pondering nature and complex systems. (This is all a compliment btw).
There are a few non sequiturs … and a misquote of the measurement quote to Drucker (when it really should be to Deming). I’m on page 98. It’s an engaging and quick read. A bit validating; like we’re all approaching the same conclusions through various lines of thought.
I’m fixing my reading lists and wish lists and finally.. not sure why I’ve never done this… created a Good Reads account. Recommended read fo sho.
I got off the elevator on the 4th? floor of the Seattle public library, stepped out and looked to my right. I would describe the feeling as a mix of shock/horror/surprise. Rows upon rows of monitors being stared upon by the general public in the vast, airy structure designed by Rem Koolhaas. It was grotesque. I got the sense I was walking into abattoir.
The other thing that has stayed with me are the floor panels, and not just the panels themselves which are 16×16 in/sq and made of stainless steel, but the fasteners holding them down. The fasteners are a black metal, one quarter of an inch round, one in each corner of the panel. They look like an afterthought. As if the proposed invisible fastener that would hold the panel down from beneath was deemed over budget and scrapped in place of the top-mount screws.
The exterior of the building is beautiful.
I keep contrasting the interior to Mother Foucault’s Bookshop in Portland. As described in a Yelp review, it’s the closest approximation one can find to the fictional Black Books. I could spend all day reading hidden way in a comfy chair. Seattle public…THX-1138.
The curious thing about a tailwind is that it’s difficult to sense when you’re in it. So 2 things:
- Look for the leaves that are blowing past faster than you’re running
- Stop for a few seconds and turn around … is the wind blowing in your face?
Almost kissing that magical 40 mile / week load. Next week may be light, then I’ll have some EXCITING runs the following week.
Update: I had to add Let it Go and the Lego song.
The time I DJ’d the roller skating birthday party.
No Let it Go to be found. I think the kids will skate like maniacs and the parents can enjoy the flashback…
From the moms:
I think the place has a really good sound system.
These are going to rock.
- Pump Up the Jam (Technotronic)
- I Feel for You (Chaka Khan)
- Another One Bites the Dust (Queen)
- Get Down on It (Kool & The Gang)
- The Safety Dance (Men Without Hats)
- She Drives Me Crazy (Fine Young Cannibals)
- Girls Just Want to Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper)
- Head Over Heels (Tears for Fears)
- It Takes Two (Edit) (Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock)
- The Power of Love (Huey Lewis & The News)
- This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody) (Talking Heads)
- Puttin’ On The Ritz (Taco)
- Bicycle Race (Queen)
- Going Back to Cali (LL Cool J)
- Take On Me (a-ha)
- Word Up (Cameo)
- Come on Eileen (Dexy’s Midnight Runners)
- Wild Wild West (Kool Moe Dee)
- I Melt With You (Modern English)
- You Make My Dreams (Daryl Hall & John Oates)
- Walk Like an Egyptian (The Bangles)
- Vanished (Crystal Castles)
- Can I Kick It? (A Tribe Called Quest)
- Walking On Sunshine (Katrina & The Waves)
- Flashdance…What a Feeling (Radio Edit) (Irene Cara)
- Electric Avenue (Eddy Grant)
- Easy (Single Version) (The Commodores)
- You’re the One That I Want (John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John)
- Don’t You Want Me (Remastered) (The Human League)
- Blue Monday (New Order)
- A Dream of You and Me (Future Islands)
- World In My Eyes (Depeche Mode)
- I Love Rock ‘N Roll (Joan Jett & The Blackhearts)
- Footloose (Kenny Loggins)
- 99 Red Balloons (Nena)
- Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)
- Atomic Dog (George Clinton)
- Hungry Like the Wolf (Duran Duran)
- Tom’s Diner (DNA)
- Situation (Yaz)
- Seasons (Waiting On You) (Future Islands)
- The Way You Make Me Feel (Single Version) (Michael Jackson)
- Let’s Go Crazy (Prince & The Revolution)
- You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) (Dead or Alive)
- Rapper’s Delight (Roller Babies Skating Tribute Mix) (Cute As Anything)
- Ghostbusters (Ray Parker, Jr.)
- Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough (Single Version) (Michael Jackson)
- Cruel Summer (Bananarama)
- Y.M.C.A. (Single Version) (Village People)
- Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) (Eurythmics)
- Sunglasses at Night (Corey Hart)
- Don’t Stop Believin’ (Journey)
Some days everything just clicks. It’s important to recognize those days.
I could have gone for 8 more. Good day.